Sunday, December 15, 2013

What It's All About

A lot of the time, I get caught up in how I think things are "supposed" to go. I'm so guilty of being one of the most self-centered people around. Since I've started dating Christopher, I'm finally learning that it really isn't all about me, (my parents should be really proud that their baby is admitting this!)
Being around Chris during this flock of chickens as well as breeding season with his cattle has been an eye-opening experience. I've been around farming all of my life, getting dirty really isn't anything new to me. But seeing it from this side is completely different. 
I don't brag on Chris enough, but y'all-this man is the biggest blessing I've ever received, God knew exactly what he was doing when He placed Christopher in my life. 
I haven't really ever told anyone this, outside of my family...but ever since I was about 15 years old, maybe even younger-I'm not really sure. I always told my sister, Julie and my daddy that I was going to end up with Chris some day. Y'all, I didn't even really know him. I just knew he was the neighbor boy from the farm down the road and that I thought he was cute. But hey, I guess God just let me in on His plan a little early. 
I'm so thankful that my Heavenly Father put it in His will for me to end up with exactly who I thought I would.

But it's not all rainbows and butterflies. Anyone that has a farmer as a significant other knows that there's more to it than originally meets the eye. I've told Chris several times, "This isn't what I signed up for" and then I take a deep breath and slop through the mud right beside him, because there's no other place I'd rather be. 

I didn't write this blog post to be sappy and stuff about my boyfriend, though. I wrote it to tell you what being a farmer's girlfriend (or wife) is all about. 
Being a farmer's girlfriend is about being prepared to give up some of the attention that you want & letting him focus that attention on his work, or rest, or anything else that needs to be accomplished. 
It's about giving, without needing anything in return. Like ensuring that his shirt and pants are ironed for Sunday service-but not getting angry when he doesn't notice that you're wearing a brand new dress.
It's not even about consistency: News Flash-you won't be eating dinner at the same time every night, it won't be the end of the world. 
But really, being a farmer's girlfriend is about realizing that your boyfriend has the greatest job in the world, he's feeding the world. He's doing what he loves every single day and he's doing it with you in mind-having a future with you. 

I'm so, so blessed. 

I love being a part of the farm and actually feeling like I'm making a difference. 
The Upchurch's are a family that is now just like my own, Mr. Larry and Mrs. Debbie have literally made me feel just like their daughter and Russell is now like the big brother I never had (and sometimes he drives me crazy like a big brother too!) 
This Christmas, I've got a lot to be thankful for and really...being thankful, that's what it's all about. 

-Jordyn

No comments:

Post a Comment